Tuesday 2 August 2011

London Tri - First Olympic!

Summary:

Finish 03: 02: 03

Swim 00: 43: 02

T1 00: 04 : 37

Bike 01: 10: 03

T2 00: 02: 34

Run 01: 01: 45

To say I was nervous looking at the swim the day before was probably an understatement and it didn’t change until I actually started the swim on Sunday. My anxiety was only fuelled finding out that there were 550 people in my wave – great!

The wave was split due to there being so many people, the first group obviously the confident lot and then the rest.

Once the swim started it was better than I thought, of course it was the longest I’d swam surrounded by lots of other people and I do mean lots of other people!

Some of the important things I was trying to remember was just to break the swim down into small sections, not to kick too much and don’t worry about other people. It was a long swim but much better than my shorter swim at Dorney a few weeks previously.

Thinking I was nearing the last turn buoy coming up I actually sped up slightly, only to realise that wasn’t the right one and I still had quite a bit to do before the final stretch – schoolboy error!

Eventually got out of the water, great to see my little boy and my long suffering girlfriend cheering me on and looking pleased I’d made it.

I was so pleased to have done the swim that I almost forgot I had 2 more events to do, so I got myself together and onto the bike.

The bike was quite uneventful just tried to keep at a half sensible pace, recover from the swim and not completely wear myself out for the run. The course was alright, quite flat-ish even though I did manage to get up to nearly 60km a few times, that’s seems quite quick on a bike especially when you can hardly see because your sunglasses are full of salt from sweating. (I soon realised I should clean them off).

Once again great to see Lynn & Sid cheering me on!

Out of transition 2 slightly quicker and looking forward to the run, the easy bit, yeh right. I felt tired, which I don’t normally when running, it was hot but my run should have been at least 10-15 minutes faster. I was laughing to myself that I just couldn’t get my running together as I thought this would be the easiest part for me – welcome to tri…….

It was great finishing around the 3 hour mark but knew it could have been better, that said the biggest achievement was being able to complete the swim. I’d say that was a bigger personal goal than completing a marathon even though the marathon was more physically draining.

The event itself was very big, obviously. A little bit like going to Westfields just for a pint of milk, next time a smaller maybe more picturesque event please.

Thanks for everyone’s advice and kind words, I look forward to many more events!

No comments:

Post a Comment